eaf graphite electrode
2020 China eaf graphite electrode industry market prospects and investment research report
News from China Business Intelligence Network: eaf graphite electrode, mainly using petroleum coke and needle coke as raw materials, coal tar pitch as a binder, is made by calcining, batching, kneading, pressing, roasting, graphitization, and machining. A conductor in an electric arc furnace that releases electric energy in the form of an electric arc to heat and melt the charge. eaf graphite electrode is widely used in the manufacturing of basic materials such as steel smelting, industrial silicon, and yellow phosphorus.
1. Development stage
China’s eaf graphite electrode market has experienced: a prosperous and prosperous period in 2017-entering a downward trajectory in 2018-starting a price war in 2019-and intensifying the price war in 2020. Affected by the epidemic, domestic demand has dropped sharply, foreign orders have been delayed, and a large number of sources have impacted the domestic market. After the Spring Festival, the price of eaf graphite electrode has risen briefly, but soon there has been smoke and the price war has intensified again. With the recovery of domestic and foreign markets, the eaf graphite electrode market is expected to reverse and the price war may cease.
2. Industry-related policy analysis
1. “Made in China 2025”
On May 8, 2015, the State Council issued “Made in China 2025” to vigorously promote breakthrough development in key areas. Aiming at the strategic priorities of the new generation of information technology, high-end equipment, new materials, biomedicine, etc., guide the agglomeration of various resources in the society, and promote the rapid development of advantageous and strategic industries.
In the field of new materials, focusing on special metallic functional materials, high-performance structural materials, functional polymer materials, special inorganic non-metallic materials and advanced composite materials, accelerate the development of advanced smelting, solidification molding, vapor deposition, profile processing, and efficient synthesis We will strengthen basic research and system construction to break through the bottleneck of industrialized preparation of key technologies and equipment for the preparation of new materials.
Actively develop special new materials shared by the military and civilians, accelerate the two-way transfer and transformation of technology, and promote the development of military-civilian integration in the new materials industry. Pay great attention to the impact of disruptive new materials on traditional materials, and do a good job in the advance layout and development of strategic frontier materials such as superconducting materials, nanomaterials, graphene, and bio-based materials. Speed up the upgrading of basic materials.
2. “Building Materials Industry Development Plan (2016-2020)”
(1) Cultivate regional characteristic industries
Coordinating factors such as resource endowment, environmental capacity, transportation and logistics, market demand and other factors, adapting measures to local conditions, supporting the development of characteristic non-metallic mining and processing industries in resource areas or planned construction areas with comparative advantages, and rationally cultivating regional characteristic building materials industries to form A group of production bases with distinctive characteristics and agglomeration of industries.
(1) North China. The coordinated development of Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei realizes the comprehensive utilization of industrial resources, promotes the use of tailings resources to produce building materials, and cultivates graphene materials. Hebei promotes the level of the glass industry and regulates the development of the insulation material industry. Shanxi builds an industrial base for basalt fiber and refractory materials. Relying on the advantages of graphite resources, Inner Mongolia is developing graphite deep processing.
(2) Northeast China. Liaoning develops deep processing industries of magnesite, talc, wollastonite, and bentonite, and accelerates the upgrading and transformation of ceramics. Jilin develops diatomite and wollastonite deep processing industries, comprehensive utilization of agricultural and forestry residues, carbon fiber and composite materials. Heilongjiang focuses on the development of graphite and deep processing industries, and expands new material industries such as graphene.
(3) East China. Shanghai is speeding up the development of advanced inorganic non-metallic materials. Jiangsu focuses on the development of carbon fiber and composite materials, graphene materials, attapulgite, and kaolin deep processing industries. Zhejiang develops high-performance fiber and composite materials, graphene materials, and bentonite deep processing industries. Anhui focuses on developing industrial glass and upgrading the silicon industry base. Jiangxi develops deep processing industries of glass fiber and composite materials, ceramics, wollastonite and black talc. Shandong develops industries such as industrial ceramics, glass processing, graphene, talc deep processing, high-performance fibers and composite materials. Fujian promotes the transformation and upgrading of ceramics, stone and other industries, and makes glass and kaolin deep processing industries better and stronger.
(4) Central and South China. Henan develops superhard materials and upgrades refractory materials. Relying on the advantages of water transportation, develop stone deep processing and build a central stone distribution center. Hunan develops parts and components required for prefabricated buildings, promotes the upgrading of the glass industry, and develops deep processing industries of sepiolite and cryptocrystalline graphite. Guangdong will further improve and strengthen the construction and sanitary ceramics, glass, and kaolin deep processing industries. Guangxi builds a demonstration base for the deep processing of talc, calcium carbonate and kaolin, and undertakes the transfer of construction and sanitary ceramics in the east. Hainan develops marine cement and products, industrial glass and deep processing.
(5) Southwest China. Chongqing promotes the development of glass deep processing, graphene and other industries, and develops glass fiber and composite materials industries. Sichuan expands and strengthens high-performance fibers and composite materials, and promotes the transformation and upgrading of ceramics. Guizhou uses its resource advantages to build a stone industry base. Yunnan focuses on the development of industries such as silica sand, glass deep processing, and parts and components required for wood structures. Tibet develops new green building materials.
(6) Northwest China. Relying on high-quality granite and marble resources, Shaanxi has built a stone industry base and built a mineral functional material industrial park focusing on deep processing of barite. Gansu uses wind power to develop high-energy products such as silicon carbide and sapphire in an orderly manner. Qinghai develops industries such as sapphire crystal, glass deep processing and high-strength gypsum powder, and moderately expands the scale of refractory materials. Xinjiang makes full use of resources such as bentonite and andalusite, develops intensively processed mineral products, undertakes the transfer of the stone industry, and builds a characteristic industrial base.
(2) Strengthen the emerging industry of building materials
Accelerate the development of advanced inorganic non-metallic materials, realize the industrialization of key basic materials on a large scale, and enhance the ability to guarantee the supply of key basic materials. Focus on the development of glass-based materials, industrial ceramics, artificial crystals, mineral functional materials, high-performance inorganic fibers and composite materials, and encourage the development of cutting-edge materials such as graphene.
Fifth point, graphene and its modified materials. Focus on the development of serialization, standardization, and low-cost graphene powder materials and their modified materials, low-cost graphene films and products based on graphene films.
Develop advanced and applicable technologies and equipment to increase the rate of non-metallic mineral resource extraction, beneficiation recovery and comprehensive utilization. Actively promote the application of mineral functional materials, focusing on the development of mineral functional materials based on non-metallic minerals for energy-saving and fire-prevention, filling and coating, environmental protection, energy storage and heat preservation.
The first point is graphite. Develop high-purity graphite, isostatic graphite, fluorinated graphite, siliconized graphite, sealing materials, graphite heat dissipation/heat conduction materials, polymer composite materials, etc., used in the fields of electronics, new energy, national defense and military industry.
(3) Development project of mineral functional materials
Project goal: to cultivate and expand mineral functional materials, promote the practical application of mineral functional materials in soil improvement and environmental governance, and build several characteristic industrial parks of mineral functional materials. The output value of characteristic industrial parks will reach tens of billions in 2020.
Main content: Taking energy conservation and environmental protection, ecological restoration, modern agriculture, high-end equipment and other needs as the driving force, with large enterprises as the leading factor, accelerating industrial demonstration and cultivating characteristic industrial parks. Vigorously promote new technologies and products, and speed up the upgrading of traditional mineral products by focusing on advantageous minerals such as graphite, diatomite, kaolin, bentonite, sepiolite, attapulgite, quartz, and mica. Carry out a demonstration of comprehensive utilization of resources based on the production of mineral functional materials from bulk tailings, and create a “near-zero emission” non-metallic mineral deep processing demonstration zone for tailings. Build a demonstration project of mineral functional materials for energy conservation and environmental protection. Combining with targeted industrial poverty alleviation, we will increase support for the scientific development of advantageous non-metallic mineral resources in contiguous poverty-stricken areas, especially border ethnic minority areas, and create characteristic non-metallic mineral industrial parks.
3. Market supply and demand of eaf graphite electrode
Affected by the epidemic situation and market factors, after the Spring Festival holiday, in addition to the smooth resumption of traditional domestic eaf graphite electrode companies, new eaf graphite electrode companies and some small and medium-sized eaf graphite electrode companies have chosen to delay the start of work, which led to the rise of eaf graphite electrode at the beginning of the year. Inventory reduction. However, with the gradual control of the epidemic, my country’s graphite click companies have already started, and the contradiction between supply and demand in China’s eaf graphite electrode market may be alleviated in the later period.
According to statistics from the Carbon Industry Association, the total output of China’s eaf graphite electrode from January to July 2019 was 394,000 tons, an increase of 13.06% year-on-year, of which the output of ultra-high eaf graphite electrode was 200,000 tons, an increase of 39.31% year-on-year, and the output of high-power eaf graphite electrode 131,000 tons, an increase of 6.63% year-on-year. In 2019, the output of eaf graphite electrode will reach 742,100 tons. Affected by various factors such as the impact of the epidemic and the reduction in overseas orders, it is expected that the output of eaf graphite electrode in China will decline slightly in 2020.
Data source: Carbon Industry Association, China Commercial Industry Research Institute
In 2019, the sales volume of eaf graphite electrode in my country was 683,200 tons. Due to the global outbreak of the epidemic, it is expected that the sales volume of eaf graphite electrode in China will also slightly decrease in 2020.
4. Overview of key enterprises
In 2020, China’s total eaf graphite electrode production capacity is expected to be 2.125 million tons, an increase of 8.9% year-on-year. Mainly distributed in North China, Central China, East China, Northeast China, Northwest China and other regions. At present, the key domestic ultra-high power eaf graphite electrode manufacturers include Fangda Carbon, Nantong Yangtze Carbon, Jilin Carbon, Pingmei Shenma Group Kaifeng Carbon, Shanxi Ximu Donghai Carbon, Shandong Bayan Graphite New Material Factory Henan Sanli Carbon , Dandong Xinxing Carbon, Linzhou Electric Power Carbon and Shanxi Jinneng Group Datong Energy Development Co., Ltd. Carbon Branch, etc.
China’s key manufacturer of ultra-high power eaf graphite electrode
Data source: China Commercial Industry Research Institute
Key manufacturer of high-power eaf graphite electrode in China
5. Future development prospects
1. The rapid development of electric furnace steelmaking drives the increase in demand for eaf graphite electrode
eaf graphite electrode is a key consumable for electric arc furnaces in short-process steelmaking. The innovation and upgrade of steelmaking process, the trend of increasing quality of special steel, the reuse of scrap steel and the vast future space of China’s electric furnace steelmaking will greatly promote The demand for eaf graphite electrode.
2. Ultra-high power electrodes become the future development trend
The national industrial policy is clearly directed, and the development of ultra-high-power electric arc furnaces is the general trend. Large-size ultra-high power eaf graphite electrode is one of the main materials for ultra-high power electric arc furnaces, and its demand will inevitably increase further due to this demand.
3. The price of eaf graphite electrode returns rationally and promotes the healthy development of the industry
Due to the high price and high profit stimulus of eaf graphite electrode, the production, expansion, and proposed eaf graphite electrode projects have increased rapidly. At present, eaf graphite electrode is in a state of strong supply and demand, and market competition is relatively high. However, there is a big gap between eaf graphite electrode companies. The price war cannot truly reflect the real-time market supply and demand status. As the eaf graphite electrode market bottoms out and rebounds, the price will return to a reasonable level.
For more information, please refer to the “Research Report on China’s eaf Graphite Electrode Industry Market Prospects and Investment Opportunities for 2020-2025” issued by the China Commercial Industry Research Institute. At the same time, China Commercial Industry Research Institute also provides industrial big data, industrial planning and planning, and industrial park planning. Solutions such as planning and industrial investment promotion.